John 21:1-25 Jesus understood the importance and the OPPORTUNITY of life shared around the table. I want to use this story today to talk about WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU’RE OFFENDED.
Everyone here has been, is or will be offended. You will be offended by those you know and don’t know. Those outside of the church and those inside the church. Probably by those in leadership of the church. It happens. What do you do with it?
Here’s the story of Jesus…
1. JESUS HAS DINNER WITH HIS BEST FRIENDS – JOHN 13. At this meal he says “one of you will betray me.” They all ask, “is it me?” Peter says, “Not me.” Jesus says you will deny me three times tonight.
2. JESUS IS TAKES HIS CLOSEST FRIENDS TO PRAY WITH HIM – JOHN 16 & 17. They fall asleep. Three times.
3. JESUS IS ARRESTED – JOHN 18. When He is arrested, Peter follows at a distance and everyone else runs away.
4. JESUS APPEARS AFTER RESURRECTION – JOHN 20. Thomas doubts. “Unless I see his wounds…put my finger in the hole…my hand in his side.”
5. PETER DECIDES TO GO FISHING…INNOCENT? MAYBE. BUT it could also be “I’m done. This hasn’t gone the way I thought it would. It certainly hasn’t gone the way I would have chosen. I’m going back to where I was before…fishing.”
The disciples….DENY, DESERT, REJECT, DOUBT AND RETREAT.
After all of this, they see Jesus and he says…
DO YOU WANT YOUR FISH GRILLED OR BLACKENED?
WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU ARE OFFENDED?
1. MOVE TOWARDS RECONCILIATION. Don’t make it chase you down. Jesus goes to them. He puts himself in their situation.
2. BLESS YOUR OFFENDER. Jesus actually makes them successful. “Throw on the other side!”
3. SERVE YOUR OFFENDER. Jesus not only goes to where he knows they will be…he cooks breakfast for them!
YOU WILL BE OFFENDED. THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION. THE QUESTION IS…
HOW WILL YOU RESPOND? Jesus responded by inviting his disciples to breakfast.